Thursday 20 June 2013

Model - Turnover celebrations

Well finally I got the planking finished and comes a time when we hold our breath and wonder if the hull will actually come off the jig. I had waxed the ribbands with parafin wax but still wasn't confident of an easy release because I wasn't able to get under the hull during planking to clean up epoxy (I will be able to do so on full scale build). Anyway a few squeezes and tap on planking and eventually she popped off with no damage. The building books say allow yourself a small celebration at turnover stage so I did just that (see below).

You will see in the top right I have managed to save the building jig without any damage so another model like this could be done by me or anyone else interested in the exercise.

Here's a closer view of the hull. There's a few rough spots and short cuts but I am pretty happy with the outcome given the purpose. I didn't cut conventional gains on planks at the bow (because the ply was too thin and brittle to cope with the chiseling) - instead I cut a full thickness rebate in the overlapped plank to give the same effect - I'll fill the air gap with some filleting.  I'm going to try for cutting gains at the stern on the full scale boat - it will be much prettier and avoid having to cut rebates in the transom.


No comments:

Post a Comment