Sunday 31 March 2013

Building a 1/5th Model with DelftShip

I tried my hand at building some models for some of the previous designs I considered and found it a very useful exercise.  For John Welsford's Pathfinder I built both a 1/10th model and a 1/5th model.  I didn't go very far with the 1/10th model because once I had done the moulds I pretty soon realised that it wasn't going to give me what I wanted without major hull design changes.  This got me into using CAD software for developing the 1/5th Model specs.  I got into using the free version of DelftShip which was extremely beneficial and I can highly recommend it. It takes a bit of figuring out but once you are familiar with it, it is a real time saver.  I used it to develop the plank edge profiles and moulds for Skye Maid.  These aren't provided with Kees plans at this stage but my starting point was Iain Oughtred's full size mould drawings which are a very good starting point.

Here's a screen shot from DelfShip hull profile of Skye Maid:

 I purchased a full licence for DelfShip which gives the capability to print our plank patterns - another time saver.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment